Sunday, April 19, 2009

Two big celebations

This was a very special weekend for me- I celebrated two very important days, and had a huge amount of fun in doing so.

My oldest son, Jeffrey, turned 17 on friday, officially making me 1 year closer to him being able to legally tell me to go "f**K myself " and sue me for smacking him in the face immediately after.

For those of you who dont know, Jeff is an up and coming pro wrestling referee, having officiated approximately 50 bouts since his debut,which was in a television commercial he did with me when i worked for a different local dealership.

He has been my longtime road companion and has been witness to some of my best successes and worst failures out on the the roads we have traveled together since he was 8 years old.

Hope you had a great birthday, amigo!

Championship Pro Wrestling also celebrated its 12th anniversary this weekend, drawing an almost sold out crowd of 125 to witness the biggest CPW event of 2009.

CPW began due to, in my opinion, my unfair exile from my position as head instructor for a local wrestling school, and my steadfast and stubborn refusal to let my wrestling days end in the spring of 1997.

Many people involved or around the local wrestling scene encouraged me to not run the event, citing that the group that just cut me loose had decided to schedule their own event, on the same day, exactly 20 minutes away from my venue. Most of the talent I had scheduled to appear on my event worked for the other group, and, after a threat to never use them again, all canceled on me to work for the "established" group.

I wasnt totally caught off guard by this turn of events, so I started booking other wrestlers that I knew from the other various events I had performed, and our card started to take a new exciting shape.

I also knew that I had a far superior main event, and a local radio station backing me up. Even still, the night before the event, I couldnt sleep at all. If this thing didnt fly, I very well may be done in wrestling, or so I thought.


So on a still chilly spring night, April 19,1997 to be exact ( which is today) CPW ran its first ever event at the Berkeley County Fairgrounds in Martinsburg,Wv. We drew, according to my "records", 255 people. Special guests included future WWE Hall of Famers Greg "The Hammer" Valentine & Tito Santana, future ECW/TNA standout Julio Dinero, & a full cast of top talent from a 250 mile radius.

But the main focus of CPW also came that night, and have stayed throughout the years- Gino, Bobby Keller, Spike Callahan ...and others who stayed for the formative years,and in some cases, beyond.... Switchblade,Mohammad Kane, Major Mayhem, & Doc Hollywood..and those who came later and decided this was "the place to be" at the local level of wrestling...Buddah, Richie, Damage, Leatherman, Jackpot,Deuce,Griffen, Hyjinx, & Jake Davis. And everyone in between! I want to thank you all for helping this thing stay alive, and thrive, JUST like it did last night in Keyser.

I'd also like to thank my father, Bob, who backed me financially for the first year, while I learned how to manage it on my own. You didnt need to do that, Dad, and I have never forgotten that you did, on top of all the other things you have done.

What a weekend- glad you guys could share it with me, at least right here!

To close, I'd like to remind Everyone to Please, please, PLEASE get your animals spade and neutered. Without Bobby Barker on tv every day to remind us, it has gotten out of hand; Just the other day, three P*ssies showed up in my yard...luckily, I only owed one of them child support!

thank you and goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Your son is now 17? JEEZUS! I remember when you were that age. Hell, even before that! I can even remember when your football team was good! We're gettin' old brother!

    Seriously, congratulations on your anniversary. You made a real roll of the dice going on your own, unlike what McMahon keeps patting himself on the back about. You should be proud. If you can get john to work one of your shows, let me know. Not giving Caricofe any more of my money. Sorry.

    So, how do like Brad Penny now? There's a reason the Dodgers let him go. And I still don't understand why the Sox wanted Saito when they have Papelbon. With those two plus DL Drew, who's next? Bill Buckner? No wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised you feel that way....Caricofe's group is a one trick pony, and that pony is ME!

    ReplyDelete