Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Tragedy Hits Close To Home

At about 10 am this morning, while I was reading the various internet news sites at work ( 10 am on a thursday is down time in the car business) my jaw dropped and my blood went cold when I read the tragic news of LA Angels rookie Nick Adenhart's death in an automobile accident. He was 22.

Nick was a local Hagerstonian, graduated from the same high school as my brother and I, and played little league baseball in the same league in which my brother and I coached.

I will make no claim to have really known Nick, or had any involvement in his development as a player ( I never had the good fortune to coach him) But I do recollect wathcing him pitch at that level, and (Shawn, feel free to correct me here) I seem to rememeber that, at the tender age of 8, nick could throw somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-70 miles per hour, which is just amazing.

During the off season, Nick would still spend a bit of time in the area, and we crossed paths a few times, and he always seemed like such a level headed, decent young man. This is such a tragic,unnecessary event that has literally rocked our entire community- as great as he was, we will now never know how great he was gonna be-an irresponsible young man with no consideration for the safety of others killed not only Nick, but two of his co passengers as well.

A piece of advice to all reading, whether you be freinds, fans, or both: when you get behind the wheel of a automobile after drinking, ask yourself two quick questions: 1) am I being safe with myself? and 2) am I being safe with the lives of others? If your answer is "NO" to either, call a cab, or a friend, or somebody.

If you have my number, and you are in need of a ride, I will personally come and get you myself and make sure you get home safe- and hopefully, I will be helping someone else get home safe as well.

I can't with good conscience end with a joke for this blog, but I will leave you with a final thought: life is too short, so try to avoid doing anything that makes it shorter, for you or anyone else.

Thank you and good night.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Shane! the sad part of this,could have been avoided if the guy(who's license was already suspended)would have just used good judgement

    ReplyDelete