Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Varitek Thoughts, VinnieMac Returns~

Let me start off by saying thanks the two of you who commented, and actually had so little to do during your day to actually read the drivel I wrote!

I am so limited on what I can really do on this thing so far, so I have placed a call to Ryan to help teach me how to put youtube videos up on this blog. Once we get over that technological hurdle, this deal should get really fun!

Commentary: Jason Varitek IS the heart and soul of the Boston Red Sox, and despite his downright terrible season at the plate in '08, the brass need to bring him back- I have no faith at the present time in Kotteras or Bard to handle this veteran staff.

Tek looked downright lost at the plate most of last year, but, while a catchers skills erode much more quickly than other poisition players, I don't see any reason why he couldnt get into the .250-.260 range, with about 15 homers. Plus, his "lesser production" may flush itself when hes working everyday with the likes of DiceK, Beckett,Smoltz, et al.

I say 1 year @ 6 million, club option for '10 @ 8 million, with incentives. Honestly, is there a "name" catcher on the market that would mean as much to this team? I think not....
*****************************************************************************
Great to see Vincent Kennedy McMahon return to television after a 6 month furlough- VKM always gets himself back into the thick about this time of year, just to add interest to his product heading into Wrestlemania.....Actually, thats pure crap: Vince puts himself in these positions because it gives him the opportunity, based on the way his corporate business model is laid out, to give himself a HUGE payoff by participating in one the top spots at WrestleMania. In other words, in addition to earning a salary as CEO of a publicly traded company, and grabbing the lions share of the divedends every year, Vince stands to earn an additional 500-800K, based on where the final buyrates come in for the annual super bowl of wrestling, just by participating as a "talent" on the biggest card of the year.

Good to be King, huh?

That being said, I thought there was a tremendous dynamic between Vince and his cocky young "superpunk" star, third generation standout Randy Orton, enough so that the old cliche "boss vs. employee" angle they trot out far too often actually has possibilities.

For the uninitiated, Orton has for the past two years, used what is essentially a "punt" to the head to knock a variety of opponents out of action; Orton used said move on VKM last night, sending him out on a stretcher, with Randy acting throughly startled and stunned that he had done such a thing to his boss, the most famous and powerful wrestling promoter of all time.

The possibilities here are numerous-I personally like the idea of Vince continuing on the show as Co-Gm with daughter Steph, but with his faculties "severely diminished" from The Punt- THAT would likely make for good tv!
***********************************************************************************
Think Im right? Think Im full of shit? Give me your thoughts.....as you can see, I have nothing else to do! lol

Please pass this onto others as well.....it will make me feel important!

Closing Comment: In the words of famous DJ/ Hanna Barbera cartoon voiceman Casey Kasem, "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reachin' for the stars!" ( like that'll help....)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shane...I've been hearing the insider's scoop about your new blog :) You've had me laughing already! Keep up the good work... I look forward to reading more.
    Love,
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Shane! I added your blog in my links.

    ReplyDelete